|"No, It's not just money. Part of it is, but not all. You greasers have a different set of values. You're more emotional. We're sophisticated - cool to the point of not feeling anything. Nothing is real to us. Rat race is a perfect name for it, We're always going and going, and never asking where. Did you ever hear of having more than you wanted? So that you couldn't want anything else and then you started looking for something else you want? It seems like we're always searching for something to satisfy us, and never finding it. Maybe we could lose our cool we could."|
|— Cherry about Socs to Ponyboy in The Outsiders|
The Socs (pronounced ˈsoʊʃɪz / so-shis, short form of Socials) are a group of rich teenagers who live on the west side, or the south side in the movie. They are the rivals to the Greasers, and were described as having 'money, cars, and futures', according to Ponyboy Curtis.
According to Cherry and Randy, Socs had their own challenges. They wanted boundaries, or limits - this is especially true for Robert Sheldon - . They wanted someone to tell them no, just once. Ponyboy realizes that they and the greasers have economic and social differences, but they aren't all perfectly happy like they're said to be - they have their own struggles. Cherry also said their values were different. Some of the Socs like to beat up younger Greasers, like Johnny and Ponyboy.
Like The Greasers, the gang is not a set and named gang with meetings, it is just a group of people who like to hang out. Also, the soc's also have many smaller groups inside them like Gregg Parker's gang and Bob's gang. They are first seen in the first chapter of the book, when Gregg's gang jump Ponyboy when he is leaving the movie theater.
- Robert Sheldon - called Bob, Cherry's boyfriend and leader of the group of Socs appearing in the movie
- Cherry Valance - Marcia's best friend and Bob's girlfriend.
- Randy Adderson - Bob's best friend and Marcia's boyfriend.
- Marcia - Cherry's best friend and Randy's girlfriend.
- David - A member of Bob and Randy's gang, he attempted to drown Ponyboy in the fountain.
- Paul Holden - Darry's former good friend when they played football together in highschool.
- Gregg Parker - Leader of a small group of Socs appearing in the TV series.