|"No, It's not just money. Part of it is, but not all. You greasers have a different set of values. You're more emotional. We're sophisticated - cool to the point of not feeling anything. Nothing is real to us. Rat race is a perfect name for it, We're always going and going, and never asking where. Did you ever hear of having more than you wanted? So that you couldn't want anything else and then you started looking for something else you want? It seems like we're always searching for something to satisfy us, and never finding it. Maybe we could lose our cool we could."|
|— Cherry about Socs to Ponyboy in The Outsiders|
The Socs (pronounced ˈsoʊʃɪz / so-shis, short form of Socials) are a group of rich teenagers of The Outsiders, also the main antagonists of The Outsiders. They were mainly around the West Side of the town (the South Side in the film). They were described as having 'money, cars, and futures', according to Ponyboy Curtis. According to Cherry and Randy, Socs had their own challenges. They wanted boundaries, or limits. They wanted someone to tell them no, at least once. Cherry also said their values were different. They were "too cool" to feel anything. Some of the male Socs like to beat up younger Greasers, like Johnny and Ponyboy. At one point, they even attempted to drown Pony just for pleasure but Johnny stopped them.
List of Known Socs
- Robert Sheldon - Leader of a group of socs, cherry's boyfriend, he is stabbed by Johnny.
- Sherri Valance - Bob's girlfriend, and a cheerleader who attends the same school as Ponyboy.
- Randy Adderson - Bob's best friend and Marcia's boyfriend.
- Marcia - Cherry's best friend.
- David - A member of Bob and Randy's gang, he attempted to drown Ponyboy in the fountain.
- Paul Holden - Darry's former good friend when they played football together in highschool.
- Gregg Parker - Leader of a group of socs