The Greasers are a alignment of gangs of the poor and lower-middle class teens and young adults in Tulsa, Oklahoma. They serve as the main protagonists of The Outsiders.
The Greasers appear in mid-1965, the time of the story. The gang could have possibly existed before then, not as "the Greasers" but as childhood friends, before then moving on to becoming greaser gangs.
Greasers wear leather or denim jackets, tight jeans, greased back hair, smoke cigarettes on average, sometimes drink alcohol, and carry knives (and occasionally guns).
The seven main greasers are the members of The Gang.
- Darry Curtis - the eldest Curtis brother, serves as the unofficial leader of the gang and as a father figure.
- Sodapop Curtis - the middle Curtis brother, a high school drop-out, he's more of a happy-go-lucky kind of guy.
- Ponyboy Curtis - the youngest Curtis brother, is the main protagonist and narrator of the story, and youngest gang member besides Johnny.
- Johnny Cade - Smallest and most fragile gang member, considered "the gang's pet"(Deceased)
- Dallas Winston - "character" of the gang, hates the world, has a police record a mile long.(Deceased)
- Two-Bit Mathews - wise-cracker of the gang.
- Steve Randle - Soda's best friend, likes cars.
- Tim Shepard - a good friend of Dally's and the brother of Curly and Angela Shepard.
- Curly Shepard - brother of Tim and Angela Shepard.
- Angela Shepard - sister of Tim and Curly Shepard.
- Sandy - Soda's ex-girlfriend who moved to Florida.
- Evie - girlfriend of Steve Randle.
- Sylvia - ex-girlfriend of Dally.
- Kathy - someone known by Two-Bit, possibly his girlfriend.
- Shepard's Gang-a gang run by Tim Shepard and his brother Curly.
- The Brumly Boys-a group of greasers in the Brumly suburb, hence the name.
- The River Kings-one of the few street gangs in the south side.
- The Curtis Gang-the main gang in the story, don't really commit crimes frequently except for Dally.